Solar Energy Challenge Workshop
- 118 Chambers Building, University Park, PA 16802
- Saturday, February 4, 2023 @ 9:00am - 3:00pm
- 9:00am - 3:00pm
- One-Day Workshop
Learn how to coach a team of students to compete in our inaugural solar challenge, including details on solar power, basic electronics, properties of light and designing a building with integrated photovoltaics.
Presented by Dr. Susan Stewart, Amber Cesare, and Stephanie Klixbull
When students participate in the Solar Challenge they will:
• Discover solar energy as a resource and its ability to provide clean energy solutions to meet the needs of society
• Design, build and test a functional, creative solar power solution
• Compete with their peers in a supportive environment
Solar electric power is one of the fastest growing energy resources in the United States today. In this workshop you
will engage in hands-on activities that will introduce you to the science behind solar energy while putting easy-touse
tools in your hands. Hands-on activities include evaluating performance of solar devices under a variable solar
resource, applications of solar energy, basic electrical concepts, and properties of light. These investigations are
powerful vehicles to expose students to “difficult-to-hold-onto” concepts like energy conversion and transfer,
electricity generation, and our energy future. You will leave this workshop with the knowledge, skills, and resources
needed to introduce students to solar energy concepts as well as how to integrate solar power into building designs.
You can use the activities from the workshop with your students to get them excited about clean energy systems.
- Taget Audience:
- Teachers of students grades 4-12
- Download Flyer
Registration is currently closed.